Well, a chipped tooth is sure to make an impression, but certainly not a good one!
Getting a chipped tooth is quite common and they are not very serious most of the time. However, if the damage caused is deep, extending across the tooth’s enamel, there are many chances of acquiring an infection with pain or loss of tooth. In these cases, it is vital to book an appointment with a cosmetic dentist Parramatta as soon as possible, if you have a chipped tooth. In case, if your tooth is broken, save that piece and take it with you to the dental appointment, as your cosmetic dentist Parramatta will be able to reattach it.
What Causes Chipped or Cracked Tooth?
- Sports Injury – If you fail to use a mouth guard when performing any risky sports activity, you are at higher risk of getting a chipped tooth.
- Biting Hard – When you bite on something very hard, there are possibilities of getting a chipped tooth. Usually, people bite hard candies, ice cubes, meat bones, corn, etc., which results in chipped tooth.
- Using Teeth as a Tool – Your teeth is all designed to eat, but if you use it as a bottle opener, to open up a bag, or pry on something you are putting your teeth at the risk of acquiring chipped tooth.
- Injuries – No matter how careful you are, accidents happen which might end up in chipped tooth.
- Cavities – This also weakens the teeth and inclines you to a chipped tooth. For instance, if you have an impacted wisdom tooth, there are many chances of acquiring cavities. In such cases, it is imperative to opt for a wisdom teeth removal Parramatta that will help avoid build-up of cavities.
- Poor Oral Hygiene – Are you someone who follows a poor oral hygiene, then your teeth is vulnerable to a chipped tooth. This is because, poor oral hygiene damages or thins down your tooth enamel which simultaneously results in chipped tooth.
- Teeth Grinding – Bruxism or teeth grinding also causes chipped or cracked tooth.
What Immediate Steps Should I Take If I Chip A Tooth?
- If you have a chipped tooth, schedule an immediate appointment with a professional cosmetic dentist at a dental clinic Parramatta.
- Rinse you mouth immediately with warm water.
- In case, if you are experiencing any bleeding in your mouth due to the chipped tooth, press the area with a piece of gauze to apply some pressure and control the bleeding.
- Supposing you do not get a dental appointment on the same day you had a chipped tooth, get some dental cement from a drugstore and cover the chipped tooth. This will protect the remaining tooth until you get your dental appointment.
There’s nothing to worry, a chipped tooth isn’t the end of the world. Even if you get a chipped tooth, book an appointment with your dentist as early as you can, as delaying the fix would result in nerve damage, ultimately resulting in the removal of the tooth.