A study shows that millions of people including children, physically and mentally challenged patients have undergone dental treatments safely with the help of sedation dentistry. Without sedation dentistry, dental treatments would be awful. These sedations help to cope up with the anxiety and pain during the dental procedures like wisdom teeth removal Parramatta and dental implants. Let’s see in detail the different types of sedation techniques deployed by the dentist Parramatta.
Sedation dentistry relaxes and helps to manage the discomfort of the patient undergoing the dental procedure. Some type of sedation eases the patient by making them partially conscious, while the deep sedation makes the patient to doze off, such that the patient doesn’t remember anything that happened during the procedure.
Characteristics of Sedation
- Patient remains responsive to the verbal commands of the dentist
- Even if the patient is dozed off, the patient could be easily awakened
- Patient’s protective reflexes remain functional
- Cognitive functions remain temporarily impaired (but the patient administered general anaesthesia loses all sensation and consciousness)
Sedative and Anaesthetics
Before undergoing the dental procedures like wisdom teeth removal Parramatta, you have to discuss with your dentist about the complexities of the procedure and the type of sedation that suits your health condition. There are a lot of options available for the sedation. The following are the sedation types,
- Conscious Sedation
Conscious sedation, as the name reveals, it makes you relaxed and you’ll be in the conscious state only. The dentist may suggest this for the following conditions,
- The patient is so nervous about the procedure
- The procedure takes more time which makes the patient emotionally strained
- Increases the patient’s pain threshold
- Creates mild amnesic effect
- Controls anxiety
- Oral Sedation
Oral sedatives are taken as pills or in liquid form. The common regime for the oral sedatives includes,
- A dose in the evening, before going to bed gives you a better sleep, prior to your procedure
- Having the second dose before one hour of the procedure
- No need of special equipment
- Minimal medication cost
- V Sedatives
I.V sedatives are administered through your blood veins. So your dentist chooses the drug based on the time required for the procedure and that suits your health condition. Before the sedation is administered, the following things are to be done,
- No eating or drinking (6 to 8 hours) prior to the sedative administration
- Report if you encountered fever, headache or sore throat
- More predictable
- Controlled effect
- Local Anaesthesia
Local anaesthesia is administered in the site of the procedure with a syringe. This creates numbness and you don’t feel the pain throughout the procedure.
- General Anaesthesia
General anaesthesia is a combination of the oral and I.V medication. You are made to doze off deeply with this sedation.
Thus the dental procedures are made pain free with the sedation dentistry. So undergo the affordable wisdom teeth removal cost Parramatta or dental implants and lead a serene life.